What is Palliative Care?
Referral, Intake and The Palliative Care Team
Anyone can recommend a patient/family for palliative care by calling The Danny Sklar Palliative Care office at 404-352-4308. An Admission Coordinator is available to speak with you Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
How Does It Work?
A nurse will conduct an assessment in the comfort of the patient’s home to determine eligibility. If the patient meets the program criteria, we will arrange visits by our nurse practitioner, nurse, social worker, volunteers and/or chaplain according to a mutually agreed upon care plan.
Telephone support with the team will also be available. Frequency of contact will vary according to a family’s individual needs.
Meet the Palliative Care Team
- The patient’s Attending Physician who remains responsible for medical decisions
- Registered Nurses who coordinate the care provided by the palliative care team
- Social Workers who provide emotional and family support including counseling, financial guidance, and access to community resources
- Compassionate trained volunteers who provide companionship, practical assistance, and respite to caregivers
- A Chaplain who is available to provide spiritual support